Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Alexa

Alexa's having a birthday party next week!
Alexa taught me a song!  Wanna hear it?
Did you know that Alexa said some mean words?
Alexa told me that...

Remember Mr. Giraffe?  He still sleeps with Cortlan, both at home and at school during his nap.  Right from the beginning, there were two Mr. Giraffes - one for each place - so that we didn't have to remember to take him back and forth every day and also so we had a Mr. G #2 handy in case something were to happen to Mr. G #1.

A while back, Cortlan became wise to the duplicity, but fortunately didn't seem to mind too much.  (He did get quite a kick out of seeing them both in the same place at the same time when that did finally happen, though.)  And for a while, there has been "Mr. Giraffe That Stays at Home" and his friend, "Mr. Giraffe That Stays at School".  Until recently.

About a week ago, Mr. Giraffe That Stays at Home became Alexa.  Mr. Giraffe That Stays at School has become, simply, Mr. Giraffe.  Alexa is Mr. Giraffe's friend. 

There are a lot of issues here, the least of which is that Mr. Giraffe is suddenly a she.

My biggest issue?  I feel like I cannot get out of the land of make believe.  Alexa talks.  A lot.  Through Cortlan.  And she tests me.  Like yesterday when Alexa had some not so nice things to say.

I realize that, more or less, Cortlan is testing the waters with Alexa's help. He is letting his imagination run wild, and enjoying a friend that is exactly to his specs...all totally normal, age-appropriate behaviors.

But personally, I kind of miss Mr. Giraffe.

2 comments:

  1. McDonald's Fairy Barbie also says some things that are not so nice. The answer is, "But Barbie said it." The response is something like, " I worry that if Barbie talks that way you will say unkind things to others."

    Barbie's comments usually deal with fashion and Mommy's belly. WHAT!

    I think Barbie will be making her way into the trash soon (she is just from a happy meal...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! Kinda glad that I am not the only one, but sorry that Barbie is such a you know what!! One more reason to hate her. lol!

    ReplyDelete