Thursday, April 7, 2011

Rewind to April 1

On March 31, Cortlan said to me, "Mommy, I am going to play a trick on you tomorrow."

It took me a second, but I then remembered what April 1 is.  The thing I was not aware of is that Cortlan knew what April 1 is.  (See?  He does learn stuff at school that I neglect to teach him!)

I had been waiting for a year when I thought Cortlan would be able to understand the concept and take an April Fool's joke without just thinking it was mean.  Maybe this was the year.  Game on!  After he went to bed, I poured a bowl of Kix and milk.  And then I put it in the freezer.

As luck would have it, Cortlan woke up early on April 1 and asked if he could eat breakfast at home, a rare treat due to typical morning time constraints.  "Sure!" I said, never having been happier for him to be awake at such an hour. 

Acting as naturally as I could, I handed him his bowl of cereal and watched him dig in.  Or at least try to dig in.

What's going on?


April Fool's!

Fortunately, the April Fool's joke was a success, and Cort reacted in the way I had hoped.  What I have especially loved is hearing him recount the story to his teachers and friends and grandparents with a big smile on his face. 

Now I have a whole year to come up with something for next April 1. 

No comments:

Post a Comment