Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The Watering Can

Every now and then, I have to remind myself that appreciating life and the moments actually requires a conscious effort.  That is something that is easy to forget as I get bogged down with so many things on a daily basis. So, with that in mind, I decided that I needed to pick a moment today. 

First, a little back story:  Yesterday, John got Cortlan a watering can that the Easter Bunny forgot.  Actually, it wasn't so much that the Easter Bunny forgot.  Rather, there was just not enough time in the Easter Bunny's day sans kids, so by the time the one request* was made, it was too late.  Thus, the Bunny left a note instructing mom and dad to find one.  We obliged. 

*As a rather lengthy side note (I will get to "the moment" in a minute):  One endearing thing about Cortlan, in my opinion, is that he doesn't ask for much.  I realize that will likely change, but for now, I can love it.  For Christmas, he asked for one thing (well, one set of things):  A digger, dump truck, cement mixer, and "everything" (meaning the set of construction stuff).  Last Christmas, it was a train.  For Easter, it was an umbrella.  His aunt got him the umbrella, and you should have seen his face when he saw it...it didn't matter that there were twenty other things in his basket.  He wanted the umbrella, and I swear he would have been happy if that was all he got.  The same is true with the Christmas gifts.  So, yeah, the watering can was request #2.  But he got the umbrella on Thursday from his Aunt LuAnn.  He had asked for the umbrella from the Easter Bunny.  In his mind, he needed to have something for the Easter Bunny to bring, and when he saw the watering can on Friday, it apparently was love at first sight.  He was so appreciative of EVERYTHING on Easter morning (candy notwithstanding), but, don't you know, in a not-really-disappointed-but-matter-of-fact kind of way he said, "Hmmm.  I didn't get a watering can."  The one thing.  I should have known.  Good thing that Easter Bunny can read and write.  And Cortlan can't.

So, anyway...about the watering can and my conscious recognition of a moment (as anti-climatic as it may be)...I love conversations with my kid:

Me:  Wow!  That is a really awesome watering can!  Who is in that picture?
Cortlan: Diego!
Me:  And what else?
Cortlan:  An elephant!!!  (pause) And coffee!!

Coffee??  I am pretty sure that is a drum.  Or maybe Cortlan just knows something I don't...(?)   

No comments:

Post a Comment