Sunday, February 12, 2012

Food Thinking

If there is something in your life that you would rather be doing than most other things and while you are doing it, you love it and time disappears, is that considered a passion?  Well, perhaps I have found one, finally.  I love what I do...teaching, running, parenting, etc.,...but for some reason, I have been completely engrossed in recipe blogging lately.  I honestly don't know why.  I am no chef...at all.  Throw me in a kitchen with random ingredients and no recipe and I am clueless.  I don't have half of the supplies that you would need to be considered a "real" cook.  Double boiler?  I am lucky I know what it is.  My knives?  I got the whole set for $45 on Black Friday.

But for some reason, I am finding myself constantly thinking about writing recipes, taking pictures of food, what I can do to get more people to notice the blog and our facebook page.  Perhaps what has me going so full force with this endeavor is that it presents me with a creative outlet that is simultaneously productive.  I need a creative outlet and I need to be productive.  My family has enjoyed the newfound interest I have had in making a variety of meals.  I have found that I am WAY better at meal planning and crock pot using than ever before.  I make fewer trips to the grocery store.  And I am creating something that I will always be able to use...and that others can use, too.

I also love that I am not doing this alone and have found that co-authoring the blog with my friend, Kelly, has been a wonderful experience and very motivating and satisfying....not to mention that it means double the delicious recipes.  (Tonight, for example, I am making one of her recipes that we haven't yet shared on the blog - taco cupcakes - and I can't wait!)  I have tried things that I would have never tried if Kelly weren't there to encourage me and to bounce ideas off of, and, without speaking for her, I think that goes both ways.  I am not a risk taker and I often second guess myself, something that doesn't happen nearly as much when working as part of a team.  For example, we may have a lead on hosting a giveaway on our blog, something that I doubt I would have considered pursuing by myself.

I am a teacher, wife, and a mom, first and foremost, but there is something that keeps me pushing forward with this blogging thing.  I really enjoy it.  Who knows what will come of it, if anything, but in the worst case scenario, I have a great collection of recipes.  The best case scenario?  Hmmmmm...perhaps the blog goes viral, sponsors start knocking on our doors showering us with money and gifts, advertisers pay us top dollar, and we get our own book deal.  Ok, maybe not. 

Who knows how long this passion will last, but I will take advantage while I can.  And if the only thing that writing this blog does is to help me to enjoy cooking, something that has always been a chore to me, then it is well worth the time I spend thinking about it!

http://www.busymomsrecipebox.blogspot.com/
(And if you are on facebook, follow us!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Busy-Moms-Recipe-Box/281427271890310)

No comments:

Post a Comment