Monday, January 3, 2011

He Says, No. 4

Yesterday, Cortlan cried for a solid five minutes because a stink bug was squished.  "I didn't want the stinkbug to have to go away," he sobbed.  We talked to him about the bug dying, after which he decided he just needed a good cry.  So, in the car, he cried hysterically until he was done.  And then he moved on.  Sometimes, I am almost concerned at how sensitive he is, but I also can't help but to find it a little bit endearing.  I have to keep in mind this sensitivity, though, and watch what I say, as I was reminded by the conversation that brought a tear to my eye:

Me:  I can't believe you are going to be four soon!  After Saturday, I will never have a three-year-old Cortlan again!
Cortlan:  Mommy, I don't want to have another birthday 'cause I don't want to be five.
Me (thoroughly confused):  Why don't you want to be five?
Cortlan:  'Cause you don't want me to!  Right?
Me (remembering the times I have said, "Can you just stay my little boy forever?" and he has said, "Yes, Mommy, I will!"):  Honey, I would love for you to be my little boy forever, but you are growing up, and that is a good thing, too.
Cortlan:  But I can always be your little boy because we can just make my birthdays go away.  I won't have any more birthdays.  When it is another day and another day, I will just keep saying it isn't my birthday.  And then I can be your little boy.

The conversation continued, I explained a few things to him, and now he is back to wanting birthdays again.  I will try not to make impossible requests of my little boy in the future.  But I will never forget that he was willing to give up his birthdays for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment