Sunday, January 9, 2011

Cortlan's Birth Day

The lead up:
Sunday, January 7, 2007
Monday, January 8, 2007

Tuesday, January 9, 2007

It is about ten after midnight, and I am experiencing full body shakes that I can't control.  They don't really bother me, but they kind of make John a little nervous.  Apparently, they are pretty common in the height of labor.  I get checked one last time.  Things look like they are a go.  So, the resident tells me to "give a little practice push."  And then abruptly and excitedly tells me to stop.  The baby is ready to come out!  There is a flurry of activity as they look for the doctor and get the room ready.  In a flash, the bed is broken down so that I can deliver.  The doctor arrives and asks John to hold my left leg while a nurse holds the other.  It is bizarre seeing my legs being moved around and having absolutely no physical sensation of it.  I am in a daze, just attempting to follow instructions.

The doctor tells me to push, and I do.  And again.  And one more time.  And I see a tear in John's eye, and I see my beautiful baby boy.  And I hear his beautiful cry.  And we call him Cortlan.

At 12:27 AM on January 9, 2007, Cortlan was born into this world at 6 pounds, 14 ounces, and 21 3/4 inches long.

And here we are, four years later.  And it feels like yesterday.  And I love him more everyday.

2 comments:

  1. I hope to hear the story of how and when you picked the name for Cortlan.

    Happy Birthday Cortlan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Dory! Maybe someday I will tell that story...though, it isn't as interesting as you might think! :)

    ReplyDelete