Sunday, September 26, 2010

My "Great Race"

As a kid, there are so many things to get excited about and look forward to:  birthdays and birthday parties, holidays like Christmas and Halloween, sleepovers, the first snow, school dances, etc.  Somehow, as an adult, a lot of those things lose a little bit of their shine.  Of course, now that I have kids of my own, I kind of live vicariously through them, and enjoy those types of things right along with them.  But, honestly, Christmas just wasn't as magical as a twenty-two year old childless woman who didn't even have her own home as it was to my seven year-old self, for example.  Even now, birthday parties are stressful because I have to plan them; the first snow brings fears of horrible road conditions; and the thought of my child's first school dance kind of makes me shudder.  I remember what they were like.

But let me tell you, I have honestly been looking forward to, and excited about, the race that I ran today.  I mean, couldn't-get-to-sleep-last-night-and-woke-before-the-alarm-went-off-at-6 AM excited.  And now, just slightly more than twelve hours past the time that I boarded the shuttle to the start line with a great friend by my side, I am still feeling the highs of the day.  Age-telling injury aside, I think I have found my fountain of youth.  Not only does running make me feel that I am doing something healthy for myself and helps me to be a good role model for my kids, it also keeps me rejuvinated and motivated.  It gives me a release and much-needed, feel-good endorphins.  It gives me at least half an hour to myself, or if I feel like multi-tasking, at least half an hour to socialize with a friend.

And today, it gave me a feeling of accomplishment, of a well-deserved pay off, and a smile that I can't wipe off my face.  It gave me that excitement that I remember feeling as a kid - the kind that lasts and lasts.  It took me back to high school and the feelings I got then when I raced.  But back then, I ran for less than 30 seconds a pop.  This was a long-lasting, bell-ringing, people-clapping, heart-racing, adreneline-filled run that I enjoyed to the fullest.  I have never run a 10K before, but I will run this race again.  I have officially turned into a person I never thought I would become.  And I am thrilled.

My friend and I entered the race together and promised each other that we wouldn't hold each other back.  We weaved through the crowd together through most of the first half of the race, an exciting adventure in itself.  I was happy to be only a handful of steps behind her by mile four.  At mile four and a half, I lost her as she pulled ahead.  I was genuinely happy for her and thrilled that I had her to run with; I know I did as well as I did because she was there not allowing me to mentally flake out of the race.  Now, I am pretty sure she is feeling what I am feeling as we exchange text messages that go something like this:

Me:  "Still feeling great about the day. And the best is that i feel like i have room to improve, too."
Her:  "Exactly. :)  We should do a race in the spring."
Me:  "Are you saying we are going to train thru winter???"

And the crazy thing is that I am considering it.




_____________________________________________
And for posterity's sake, my results (sorry, this is my self-designated place to record them):
Chip time: 46:54
Clock time: 48:47 (I had no idea it would take nearly 2 mintues to get to the start line!!)
Overall:  1141/7958
Females:  226/3843
Age group:  42/664
Pace:  7:33

No comments:

Post a Comment