Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Purses and bags

I realize that many women love purses and would gladly spend copious amounts of money on them.  I have been in the Coach Outlet.  I have also quickly walked out of the Coach Outlet.  I generally do not want anything to do with purses.  If I didn't need somewhere to put my credit cards and ID, I wouldn't even carry a wallet.  In fact, anytime my husband is with me, I don't carry anything of the sort.  He has the same credit card as me anyway, and if I need my ID and don't have pockets, he can carry that, too.  He draws the line at carrying my lipstick, so if I don't have a pocket for it, it doesn't come.  And really, what else do you need a purse for?  Lipstick and a wallet.  If I carry one for any length of time, the rest of the space just gets consumed by junk - receipts, outdated coupons, old grocery lists.  I carried a diaper for a while once...

But I digress.

My daughter is obsessed with bags.  And I really mean any kind of bag.  It started with a grocery bag.  Realizing that was a bit dangerous and after hearing about a very loud and drawn out battle when dropping her off at daycare one morning, a librarian friend gave her a tote bag:
She seriously couldn't have been happier...

Until she found a lunch tote in a drawer at home.  Then, for a while, she carried the lunch tote in the Dr. Seuss bag.  "Baaaaaaaaaa!!  Baaaaaaa!!  Baaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!" is all we heard if the bag wasn't in sight.  Or worse, if it was in sight but she couldn't get to it.  It needed to be with her in the car, on the way to school, and for quite a while at school.  The girl needed to have a bag on her shoulder.

So today, I decided that perhaps, even though it is completely not my nature, it was time to get Everly a bag that is her size.  It was time to get her her very own purse.

So off to Target we went while Cortlan and John were at taekwondo.  The issue quickly became one of not enough arms:

She wanted them all.  And she is pointing at another one that she wants.

My sincerest apologies to the Target worker who found three little girl purses hidden behind the diapers.  I had to hide them while she was distracted.  There was just no other way.  We settled on the Hello Kitty purse.  And here it is now:


 
I wanted to flip the purse over to show the Hello Kitty side, but I was afraid she would tear my arm off if I touched it.

3 comments:

  1. That is just too cute, Joyce. What a girl wants, what a girl needs, and all that. I share her love of purses, though, like you, I steer clear of the Coach Outlet. Besides the price, I just don't find them cute enough anyway. Let's hope she doesn't develop the love of shoes that lots of us ladies have...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, it is too late for that, Leslie! She has been a shoe girl since about 4 months old. Sigh. What am I going to do with her?! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found you through RLAM (and good luck to win the Nike San Fran trip!) - what a darling daughter you have. That's so adorable.

    ReplyDelete