Sunday, February 28, 2010

Lots to learn

Well, I learned a lot this past weekend.

For one, I learned that I have a really, REALLY big bum. That is according to my three year old, who, incidentally, also pointed out this weekend that my eyes are wrinkly. Hmmmm.

I learned that I can't say or hear the word "fool" without thinking about pants being on the ground.

I learned that unless I intend to buy it, or am willing to make quite a scene at Michael's, I probably shouldn't ever put the bumblebee hat on my daughter again, even if she looks so cute and wants it so bad. (Where did she get this obsession for hats and shoes anyway?? I would be barefoot every second of the day if I could, and I think hats are unbelievably uncomfortable and look ridiculous on me.)

I also learned this weekend that it is sometimes worth a little water on the floor (and your pants) when it means you get to hear both of your kids laughing hysterically as they splash in the bathtub.

I learned that you can't force things. Like, you can't force yourself to stay awake, even if the movie is good, when you are flat-out exhausted. (OK, I learned that one a long time ago, actually.) You can't force kids to get along when they don't (but there is probably a "teachable moment" there somewhere). You can't force a team to win just by cheering for them (but you can at least be happy when it is Sid that scores the winning goal for the opposition.) Oh, and you can't force people to comment on your blog. :)

I learned that when you expose yourself, it feels liberating at times, but other times you just feel, well, in the words of a friend - naked. And in front of a crowd, that can be pretty darn uncomfortable. (Oh, I could go so many places with the pants on the ground reference here.)

I don't regret sharing this blog with the people that I have at this point. But I did learn something about myself in doing so. (There is that growing thing, I guess.) That is, while I have changed for the better greatly over the years, and though I have largely been able to ignore, and/or work around them for much of my adulthood, I still have a touch of the same insecurities that I have had for most of my life. Hmmmmm.

This weekend, I learned that introspection is a pretty awesome thing and that I still have quite a lot to learn... about the world, about being a mom, about being a wife, a communicator, a teacher, and especially about myself...but also that I am getting better at appreciating the moments, big bum, wrinkly eyes, soaking wet pants and all.

2 comments:

  1. Joyce,
    Can't wait to hear what Cort says when he sees me!

    I saw a commercial or preview for a movie in which someone asked a person if they were involved in social media; the person answered it would be another way for them to be rejected. I found myself feeling that way not too long ago when I posted something I was really excited about and very few people commented. I got annoyed when my a few friends disclosed they were discussing me and my post on the phone---couldn't they just hit "like." Maybe there should be more options: "like" "dislike", "annoyed", "show off", "jealous" etc. I found that I also had a few moments where I was really wanting certain people to respond to my comments...then I thought: what I am in high school.

    I found I liked the opportunity to discuss thing online when I did my grad work at PSU because there was a fairly large online portion in which we were required to post and respond to classmates. I liked being able to think about my idea and comments; I found I had a lot more to say when I didn't have to speak on the spur of the moment (and it did help me make better arguments and comments live). By the time my cohort graduated, we posted and commented much more than required because it was enjoyable to have a conversation on important topics in more than 10 minutes.

    I want you to know that your blog has helped me to be less impatient and frustrated with my three year old. It made me remember to read an extra chapter when she asks to sing an extra song even though she is stalling. It made me try to go to church more than once a week. Our lives are filled with such beauty but it could change at any time. I am so thankful for my many blessings.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly -
    First, to be fair, Cortlan also said that his bum is really really big, too...so he is obviously dilusional. :)
    Second, I totally agree that we should have those options in addition to "like". That would be awesome!
    And finally, I can not tell you how much your comment means to me. I found it much easier to send the link to people I haven't seen in 10+ years than the people that I see regularly...I was worried that you might think I had just gone off the deep end or something. The fact that you said "thank you" actually made tears come to my eyes. I am thankful for your friendship.

    ReplyDelete