Monday, August 13, 2012

The Parents' Pledge

As I was gathering the recycling to take to the curb this evening, I came across the April 2012 edition of Parents Magazine.  After months of it sitting around and me reading it bit by bit, here and there, it was time to get it out of the house.  But there was actually a reason that I hadn't tossed it already: on the inside of the cover was something they called "The Parents Pledge."  I have read it several times over the months since receiving the magazine in the mail, and despite the fact that it can be found at www.parents.com/lifetime-learning-pledge, I decided that I wanted to record it here in hopes that I will come to it again and remind myself of this pledge every now and then.  I really appreciate and enjoy the message it sends.  And it always helps to be reminded of these things.

The Parents Pledge

To help my kids develop a love of learning that will last a lifetime, I promise to:

encourage independent play
I'll give them the time and space to experiment and learn things on their own.  And if they get frustrated, I'll greet them with guidance, not answers.

hit the books
I'll read to my kids every day - even once they're old enough to do it by themselves.

nurture their natural curiosity
While a preschooler's nonstop questions can be wearying, I'll always try to respond with enthusiasm.

give them a game plan
If they're struggling with a task, I'll break it down into simple steps.

embrace setbacks
It's my job to recast disappointments as a chance to improve, and I'll inspire my kids to keep trying.

compliment them the right way
I'll be specific when doling out praise and focus on tier effort rather than the results.  Excessive ooh-ing and aah-ing can dampen their motivation.

support special interests
I'll help my kids find a passion or a hobby by exposing then to lots of things and by visiting museums, libraries, and historic places.

create little challenges
Asking how many red cars they can spot or how to spell a simple word will boost their sense of competence.  Plus it's fun.

practice the things I preach
They'll care more about academics if they see me reading for pleasure, calculating our budget, and researching a new subject on my own time.

tolerate messes
Learning isn't always neat and orderly.  A little chaos is a vital part of the process.

be my kids' top learning advocate
Whether they have problems with a homework project or simply need a pep talk, I'll strive to be as supportive as I can be.

Source:  Parent's  magazine, April 2012, inside cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment