Monday, August 20, 2012

Retrospective summer bucket list

At the beginning of the summer, several of my friends created "summer bucket lists" and posted them online.  I absolutely loved the idea.  I also recognized that making one would probably make me crazy.  When I have a to-do list, or a running plan, or things marked on the calendar (or sometimes even just on the calendar in my head), it somehow becomes a crime if I don't get those things accomplished.  A bucket list, I was afraid, would take the fun things we do in the summer and turn them into tasks that I had to accomplish.  While this would clearly not be the case for most, I have never claimed to be normal.  That said, in hindsight, my bucket list may have looked something like this:
  • Go camping
  • Go to the museum
  • Play at the park
  • Catch lightning bugs
  • Watch fireworks
  • Learn to swim
  • Pick strawberries on the farm
  • Run around barefoot
  • Ride a golf cart
  • Play in the surf
  • Build a sandcastle
  • Watch the sunrise
  • Watch the sunset
  • Take a walk in the woods
  • Have a playdate with new friends
  • Have a playdate with old friends
  • Go to the science center
  • Learn to pump on the swings
  • Visit a state park
  • See a drive-in movie
  • Learn to tie shoes
  • Play frisbee
  • Visit an animal park
  • Learn about money
  • Go to Idlewild
  • Make s'mores over a fire
  • Make a volcano
  • Get a family picture taken
  • Read a lot of books
  • Ride bikes
  • Taste cotton candy
  • Eat fresh blackberries right from the bush
  • Visit a friend in another state
  • Go to the movies in a theater
  • Have a sleepover
  • Count by fives and tens
  • Get faces painted
  • Watch the Olympics
  • Make cookies
  • Go to a county fair
  • Catch a fish
  • Go down a Slip 'n Slide
  • Make sidewalk chalk art
  • Blow bubbles
  • Blow kisses
I am happy to say that nearly every one of these things happened.
Though, we did just buy velcro shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment