Friday, December 9, 2011

Sometimes, it doesn't come naturally

So is it seriously December already? Yeah. I thought I would have some balance back in my life by now but somehow things got WAY out of balance recently, and unfortunately it didn't sway towards the fun stuff.

Over the last couple of weeks, I have graded way too many papers in the late PM hours and, in general, spent way too much of my time working. Granted, the New York trip this past weekend was fun, with great food and phenomenal shows.  (How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying was fantastic - who knew that Daniel Radcliffe was so tiny?  And Warhorse was absolutely amazing. If the movie is anywhere close to being as good as the play, it will be a must-see.) But my mind has been overwhelmed.  I realized today that it has been far too long since I spent time with my kids with out simultaneously doing something else, be it laundry, cooking, cleaning, shopping, driving, eating, being on the computer or my phone, or simply sorting through or creating lists in my mind. It it's time for me to refocus. It is time for me to try to get back to the moment and work on being present. Sometimes, my to-do list is overwhelming - Christmas cards and baking, figuring out what we are going to do for Cort's January birthday, organizing the Christmas Eve get-together, shopping for gifts, household chores, work - and those things cannot be neglected.  But I owe it to myself, my husband, and my kids to give them my full attention as much as I can when I am with them, and to get back to loving the moments that life gives me.

Let the refocusing begin.  Again.

No comments:

Post a Comment