Saturday, December 31, 2011

Running 2011

Well, I logged my last run of 2011 this morning and I am happy to say I made it through the year injury-free.  Some other running-related facts of the year, including many "firsts":
  • I ran at least some miles in 11 out of 12 months of the year.  That is three more months than ever before.  I can say for a fact that this was the first December that I ever put in a single mile, and I managed about sixty.  Running with Christmas lights lighting my way was definitely a new experience, and not a bad one at all.
  • I ran in cold rain, warm rain, and pouring rain, sweltering heat, strong winds, and snow.  I ran when the temps were above 90 and below 20.  I ran on beautifully perfect, low humidity, blue-sky days.  I ran as the sun set and as the sun rose and when the sun was high in the sky.
  • I ran over 700 miles and for over 100 hours and burned over 60,000 calories doing so. 
  • I ran at the beach in North Carolina.  I ran in Corning, New York.  I ran at a hotel in New Jersey (my only treadmill miles of the year).  I ran in a suburb of Philadelphia.  I ran in Erie, Pennsylvania. 
  • I ran two 5K races and I ran my first half-marathon.
  • I ran with friends.  I ran with music.  I ran with the Nike+.  I ran with my brand new Garmin watch.
  • I ran when I was tired and angry and frustrated and busy.  I ran to feel energized and happy and clear-headed and calm. 
  • I ran to stay fit, to stay sane, and to set a good example.  I ran for everyone around me and I ran for me.
It was a big year for me, running-wise, and I am feeling pretty good.  And I am feeling pretty optimistic about running 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment