Sunday, August 28, 2011

Recently...

My kids are playing so well together right now that I almost feel that I shouldn't be in the same room with them for fear of ruining the whole thing.  I mean, I just heard them give the Little People pig a time out.  Why do I want to mess with that?  So, I figure I have a couple minutes to vacuum or write lesson plans.  Or start a blog entry. 
As I have clearly not had the time to write much in the last week and a half, it isn't for lack of ideas.  Here is some randomness from recent times:

  • My kids are surprisingly well-adjusted.  Or maybe they are just tired of us.  After all, they have been stuck with two teachers as parents and, thus, stuck with both of us all summer long.  I for one have enjoyed it, but at the end of the summer, leaving them can go one of two ways:  the screaming-and-crying-because-they-are-so-used-to-being-with-us-that-they-are-like-barnacles-stuck-to-our-legs-as-we-try-to-make-our-exit way, or the "See ya!  Good riddance!" way.  Well, there were no tears as we left last Friday for the weekend to head to the fabulous wedding of one of my bff's.  And when I called my sister (who so kindly watched the kids for us) to see if anyone wanted to talk to me, Cortlan literally said, "That's a 'No thanks' for me."  Ummm...ok?
  • Thinking the whole thing was a bit of a fluke, I braced myself for the kids' first day of school this week.  But, the two bounded out of bed in the morning, got ready with no resistance, and happily ate their banana as we kissed them goodbye.  It was like we hadn't skipped a beat since dropping them off at the beginning of June.  At the end of the day, they were both happy and smiling and looking forward to going back the next day.  Whew!  Now if only the morning routine would stay so smooth...
  • A few things about running:  There are only three weeks left until the big Race Day.  I am feeling good.  But I can't believe how just three days back at work totally affects how I feel when running.  I am sure I will get used to it to a degree, but I will SO miss my morning runs.  And not wearing heels all day.
  • A question:  Could it be that summer seems even shorter now because a day is less of a percentage of our lives as we age?  A four-year-old's summer is almost 5% of his life.  A 34-year-old's summer is only about 0.5% of her life.  Yes, I calculated it.  I have come to terms with my nerdy side.  And I think it is a pretty good theory.  I mean, it does seem that summer is about 10 times shorter than it used to be, right?
  • Cortlan started gymnastics on Wednesday.  He absolutely loves it, and I am so happy about that.  It is apparent to me, however, that he has inherited my athletic prowess.  (Keep in mind that I did not make the volleyball team when I tried out in 9th grade.  I don't think I have ever in my life hit a softball.  And my golf skills are reserved to the occasional mini-golf excursion, which is great if the high score wins.  Yes, I run, but that requires no coordination.)  But, he is having fun and I enjoy watching him.  Everly, on the other hand, could deal without having to wait through the entire class.  I have to work on something else to occupy her.
  • And speaking of Cortlan, he has actually been sliding more towards the helpful side of the spectrum, the other side of which being hindrance.  Kids always want to help.  It just happens to be that, most times, them helping really just means more work for the parents.  The other day, though, the kids and I were sweeping the grass clippings off of the sidewalk, shoveling them up, and dumping them into the wheelbarrow.  At one point, I had to take Everly inside to go potty, and when I came back, Cortlan had cleaned up and entire pile of clippings, and I didn't even have to clean up after him.  Today, John said to him, "You have been a really big help recently.  I can't wait until you can do plumbing and fix the car."  Cortlan replied hopefully, "I can plumb the car today!"  Maybe we will keep him from the tools for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment