Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Nothing a Boo Boo Buddy and a little humor can't fix

I realize that it isn't very nice to laugh at other people's expense.  I really, really do.  And it is probably even worse to laugh at your kid's expense.  Truly, I am not a person who takes pleasure in other people's pain.  But sometimes, it just happens...like that time when Cortlan was traumatized at the thought of having a time out.  And like yesterday:

We were playing on the sun porch, and it was freezing out there, so we had the portable heater on, which only increased the temperature marginally.  We were spread out on the floor, playing with trains, when Cortlan quickly jumped up, proclaimed that he had to go potty, and then promptly ran full speed into the closed sliding glass door, bouncing back to the floor.

Poor kid.

It all happened in an instant.  John and I looked at each other, and really tried hard to not laugh.  But it kind of slipped out a little.  Cortlan didn't notice, I don't think.  But in our family, the best way for us to handle situations such as these is to not go overboard.  If we don't make a big deal of it, they don't make a big deal of it.  Moreover, we are trying to teach our kids to find the humor in life.  So, what did we do to help Cortlan stop crying?

Well, first we got him his "boo-boo buddy" from the freezer to put on his head to reduce the swelling.
Boo Boo Buddy Resuable Cold Pack Sport Designs Baseball

Then we told him about the time I ran into the screen door, knocking the whole thing down and bending the frame.  (Yes, I did.)

Then we showed him a Super Bowl commercial.


He laughed.  We laughed.  All is well. 
Though, writing this just reminded me that I should probably wipe the face print from the door.

1 comment: