Friday, March 26, 2010

Time Out

The lack of sleep Monday night due to a crying fit that lasted from 10:30 until 2AM has not been easy to recover from this week.  So, there has been a shortage of patience within our household, at times.  We kind of drudged through the day yesterday - woke to the alarm at 5AM, taught all day, picked up the kids, and then had to head directly to the pediatrician only to find that the ear infection Everly had been treated for did not go away and was now a double ear infection.  (Hence, the crying, I would suppose.)

So, from the doctor's office, the four of us went to Target to get the prescription filled.  We got a snack while we waited, wandered around the store for a bit.  Having not been home yet, still in work clothes, and getting hungry for dinner, we were far from relaxed.  Then came "the incident" while getting into the car and leaving the parking lot that required a time out.  But, we were in the car, so the time out would have to wait until we got home.  Which meant we had the entire ride home to hear about it.  During that time, there was not a sound from anyone else in the car (not even from Everly, who just stared at her brother, taking it all in)...

It was like he went through some sort of internal 5-step program on the ride home. The verbal barrage never once let up for the entire 15 minute journey.  And no one else said a word.

Nooooooooooooooooo!!!!  I don't waaaaaaaaannnnntttttt a time out!  Repeat about 50 times.

Then: 
I know better!!  I reeaalllyy reaallllyy know better!  I know better.  No one else knows better.  I know bettttttterrrrrrr! (sob, sob, repeat)

About 10 minutes into the ride, we were obviously getting closer to home, the future scene of the time out.  His tune changed a little bit:
I wanna go somewhere else!  Can we go somewhere else?  I don't want to go home!  Take me back to preschool!  I want to stay at preschool!  I wanna go back to schoooooooolllllllllll!!!!!! (tears, repeat)

You have to imagine this with the three-year-old accent, too.  At the start of the ride, we were all irrate.  That feeling was subsiding at this point within everyone but Cortlan, as John and I stifled smiles in the front seat.  The drama was unbearable.

He reached a new level:
I don't want a time out!  I want to laugh and smile.  I want to laugh and smile!  (sob, feet kick, arms flail, repeat, repeat)

As we turned onto our street, he started to put it all together. 

I don't want a time out!!  Take me to preschool!  I want to stay at preschool!  I want to laugh and smile!  I know better!  I really really do!  Noooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe you had to be there, but is it awful that John and I had to try so hard to not laugh at this point?  Honestly, all he had to do was sit quietly on a green towel in the middle of the living room for three minutes. 

Who needs corporal punishment?

2 comments:

  1. I spend a lot of time leaving the room because I can't help but smile or smirk or bust out laughing, especially if John is there. Emma's arguements and rationalizations are priceless.

    Sometimes at school, I act like I have to walk out of the classroom to think about the appropriate logical consequence for said behavior while I am really just laughing in the hall.
    One of the best was on the first day of school when I was teaching the ol' "1, 2, 3, eyes on me" "1,2 eyes on you" attention grabber where the kids point to me when responding. This seven year old who just heard the rhyme busts out with "1-2, eyes on Drew" and pointed to himself waiting for a laugh. Can't let him know you think he is perhaps one of the brightest children you ever taught or that he is hilarious...have to show that it is a totally unacceptable response. At least my job often makes me laugh...

    ReplyDelete
  2. :)
    I can't imagine all of the funny things the little ones in elementary school must come up with. I am sure you often get too much info, too. Emma is so cute - I love hearing what she has to say!

    ReplyDelete