Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Benefits

Sometimes, I really wonder why I have magazine subscriptions.  I have three.  There is a pile on my counter of prior months' issues that I have every intention of getting to, though it may be December when I finally get to the one that has all the cute ideas for Halloween.  So yes, I sometimes wonder why I have the subscriptions.  But the great thing about magazines is that they require little commitment.  I can read an entire article in the five minutes it takes for me to eat my breakfast and feel like I have actually started and finished something (a rarity these days).  I don't feel pressured by magazines like I do books...I won't crack a book unless I know I have ample time to devote to reading it from cover to cover.  Not so with a magazine.  There is no long term relationship expected by a magazine.  Nope.  It's more like a blind date.  Or a one night stand, I suppose.

The date I had with my magazine this morning lasted about forty-five seconds.  And I will share every detail with you right now.

Straight from Shape magazine, page 31 of the November issue (yes, I skipped October so I had a chance of catching something current.  I will get back to you, October, I promise):

SAVOR THE SIMPLE THINGS.  While having a hefty paycheck is nice, it can make it harder to enjoy life's little pleasures.  A study in Psychological Science found that the higher a person's salary, the less they savored small things like a piece of chocolate.  Researchers believe it's because as you earn more, you have greater access to expensive experiences that make you happy, so you don't notice the mini moments.  Take time to appreciate a sunny day or dinner with friends.  Rich or poor, you'll be enjoying every minute.

Do you find this as interesting as I did?  Personally, I am happy to savor a piece of chocolate (or a Reese's Cup, as it may be) and I am happy to hear a non-conventional plus to having a non-plus-sized paycheck.  Oh, and a reminder to appreciate the moments never gets past me.

No comments:

Post a Comment