Friday, July 22, 2011

A gratifying run

You know what I did this morning? I got out of bed at 5:30AM, got dressed, made some coffee, ate a bowl of oatmeal, tied my running shoes, and headed out the door. 

At the beach. 

And then I proceeded to run nine of the most challenging, yet rewarding miles. 

Some of the miles were into the wind.  Some of the miles were into the sun.  All of the miles were hot, even at that early hour.  But the miles were also peaceful.  And they were beautiful.  And they didn't even need music (though I did listen to a new playlist for the second half of the journey).

When I started this training program, this was the week I worried most about, discipline-wise and ability-wise.  After a little setback last week that continued into this (more on that another time), and due to the flexibility that a vacation requires, I can't say that I have followed the plan quite to the letter recently, but I am proud to say that I have now run 23 miles at the beach so far and I hope to run several more before the trip is over.

My nine miles today ended a little less than a mile away from our house on the road next to the dune.  I walked the few feet to the beach access and took off my shoes and socks.  I walked the rest of the way home at the water's edge, leaving disappearing footprints in the sand, watching the sun glimmer on the water and the waves roll in.  I enjoyed every moment...deep in thought and loving life.

No comments:

Post a Comment