Sunday, June 19, 2011

Happy Father's Day, John!

I kind of suck at getting presents for people.  I struggle on every occasion - weddings, birthdays, Christmas - and Father's Day is no exception.  I have long found getting my own dad a gift nearly impossible and now the task is doubly difficult as I search for the perfect gift for my husband, as well.  I think that my biggest issue is that I never feel that the gift sufficiently matches the sentiment.  What can you really get a dad to express how much you appreciate him and love him?  A pair of shorts?  A foam roller?  Replacement blades for the Magic Bullet?  Yeah, those things just don't seem to do it justice.  And when you have a husband that is so content, who doesn't really want anything, who doesn't want a lot of money spent on him, the task becomes even more challenging.  In reality, there isn't a thing that money can buy that would express how I feel this and every Father's Day, how appreciative I am of everything my husband does for his family, how great of a dad I think he is to our children, and how great of a dad mine is to me.  So, yeah, I did get John some shorts, a foam roller, and replacement blades for the Magic Bullet, because he kind of needed those things.  But hopefully, the little things, the things that money can't buy, that happen today and everyday show him how much he is loved and appreciated always. 

What follows is an interview with my kids on Father's Day (in hindsight, I should have interviewed both kids independently, as Everly's answers may have been slightly influenced by her brother's):

What is the best thing about Daddy?
Cortlan:  Because he's nice sometimes and he gives Everly time outs sometimes.  That's nice about him. And he gives me a kiss before bed.
Everly: He gets me touble (trouble).

If you could give Daddy anything in the world, what would it be?
Cortlan:  Astronaut clothes.  Or tools.  He really likes tools.
Everly: A special fok (fork).

What do you like to do with Daddy?
Cortlan:  Play games and do puzzles. 
Everly: Play puzzles and toys.

What is the funnest thing that you have ever done with Daddy?
Cortlan: When it was the last day of vacation and we got to drive at night and didn't go to sleep.
Everly: Play on pillows.

What do you think that Daddy likes to do with you?
Cortlan: Play games and puzzles.
Ev: Play

If there is one message you would like me to type for Daddy, what would it be?
Cortlan: Happy birthday even though its not his birthday.
Ev: Pesent (present).

How much do you love Daddy?
Cortlan: SO MUCH!
Everly: TOO MUCH!

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY, JOHN!!  WE LOVE YOU!!!

And PS:  Because we were on the computer together, Cortlan really wanted to type something.  He had me spell, and he typed.  Here is what he wrote:  sasha mr. giraffe alexa

No comments:

Post a Comment