Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Idlewild

Yesterday was a day filled with firsts; an awesome day, with two little exceptions that stand out in my mind.  But I will get to the exceptions later.

Yesterday, we got to go on that Idlewild trip I referred to months ago, the one that seemed so far away at the time. The day was hot and sunny; the park wasn't too crowded.  Upon arrival, we enjoyed a picnic lunch, and then headed to Story Book Forest, where Everly greeted Mother Goose with a big smile and wave.  And Cortlan excitedly ran and said, "Mommy!  Let's go in there!" pointing at one storybook house after another. 

The last time Everly had been to Idlewild, she was seven months old and not nearly as aware of things as she is now at fifteen months. She enjoyed Story Book Forest and then we moved on to Jumping Jungle, where she got her first experience in the big ball pit.  And then to Raccoon Lagoon, where she got to ride rides for the first time.  Like her brother two years ago, her first was the motorcycle, and she leaned forward and grabbed those handle bars like a pro.  One after another, she loved the rides, and even seemed to be getting the concept of waiting in line.  She nodded when I asked if she wanted to go on the caged-in kiddie Ferris Wheel, and moved her arm around in a big circle to indicate that it went around and around.  She loved Mr. Roger's Neighborhood and danced when they sang.  She loved riding up and down on the big kid Carousel.  And another first of the day: she took a nap in the stroller, allowing us a little more time at the park.  Bonus.

Cortlan had some firsts, too, not all of which were good.  I will start with the bad, because I would like to end on a high note.  Today was the first time that we caught Cortlan in a lie.  Not a "Mommy!  I just caught a big fish!" as he sits on his bed kind of lie, but what I would call a legit lie.  He had taken some candy out of a drawer, and as John came into the room and said, "Stop.  Did you ask anyone if you could have that?" Cortlan quickly popped the candy in his mouth and said that Mommy had.  I hadn't.  And I know that it isn't that big of a lie, and I know that three-year-olds live in a fantasy land most of the time, where they invent their own reality to suit them.  And I have even read articles and websites in the past, one that said, "Intentional, manipulative, or malevolent intent to deceive doesn't happen at this age."  But, it did make me a bit sad to have had this first lie, this first taste of what the future may hold, the first feeling of what it might be like to not know if I can trust.

The second not-so-good first for Cortlan came in the line at the airplane ride in Raccoon Lagoon, where he and his friend stood waiting, as her dad and I chatted as we waited with them.  A very tired Cortlan zoned out and stared at the airplanes as his friend talked to him, and then he suddenly turned and clapped her face.  (That was his term for the motion of clapping his hands together, with her face between them.)  I was mortified that he would do such a thing to his friend, a friend, might I add, whose parents I would very much like to remain friends with.  I scooped him up and out of the line.  He had his fit, made his apologies, and did not have his airplane ride.  All because his friend had told him he had brown eyes.  Um.  Hello, Cortlan.  You do have brown eyes.  Not good.

But, those two moments aside, I would say that Cortlan did have a pretty good day, and had his own share of firsts.  He got to ride the Scrambler for the first time (with Dad) and the big Ferris Wheel for the first time (with Mom).  As we sat perched at the very highest point on the ride, he said to me, "Mommy! I have never been this high up before!"  We looked out at the trees beneath us, and waved to Everly and Daddy, and enjoyed the moment.

On the whole, it was an awesome day.  With two little exceptions.

No comments:

Post a Comment