Thursday, February 14, 2013

The coming of another milestone

Cortlan is in Kindergarten.  For many moms, Kindergarten is the big milestone.  They watch their children get on the bus on the first day and try to hide the tear or two (or many) trickling down their cheeks.  Things will never be the same, they think.

Maybe it is because Cortlan never got on a bus or maybe it is because we have continued the same routine that we had for most of his life, but Kindergarten didn't affect me in that way.  I never thought that Kindergarten would be the milestone that made me feel that there was no going back.  No.  The milestone that I anticipated would make me feel that way? When my babies loose their baby teeth.

And yesterday, at our dentist appointment, the news came - Cortlan has his first loose teeth.  Two of them.  And it won't be long before they are gone.  The baby face has already significantly changed, but will now change even more.  The little teeth with the spaces between them that mark his youth will soon be replaced with a gap and shortly thereafter filled with much larger pearly whites.  To me, this marks the change from a little guy to a boy.  And it will be those same teeth that he has when he is a man. 

Really? He only gets to keep those little teeth for six short years?

They grow too fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment