Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Mother's Day 2012

I was standing in my bathroom on Sunday, fixing my hair, listening to the conversation happening in the living room between Cortlan, now five, and Everly, now 3, and it wasn't too pretty.  Suddenly, I heard things crash off of what I believe was the coffee table to the floor, and I could only deduce that it was Everly who had done it and that it was Cortlan's toys that went a flyin'.  It wasn't too hard to figure out based on the conversation that ensued, which went something like this:

Cortlan: EVERLY!!! Why did you do that?
(no response)
Cortlan: Fine.  I just don't care about you anymore.  I don't like you and I don't care about you.
(This was the first time that he had used the "I don't care about you" phrase, but not the "I don't like you" phrase, unfortunately.  There was still no response.)
Cortlan: Do you know what?  I am going to e-mail Santa Claus or write him a letter or tell Mommy to write him a letter and tell him that you shouldn't get anymore toys ever.  And I might break your toys so you don't have any.
(This got her attention.)
Everly: NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
Cortlan: Well, you shouldn't do that then.

On one hand, I wanted to go in there and discipline them.  On the other, I wanted them to figure it out themselves.  On one hand, I wanted to cringe at the words.  On the other, I wanted to laugh.

This parenting thing sure isn't getting any easier.  And no, my Mother's Day wasn't perfect.  But I loved it despite the stinging words and the rain that fell from the sky.  I loved it because of my handmade cards and my special breakfast.  I loved it because I got to spend time with my family, including my own mom and my mother-in-law.  I loved it because I didn't clean or do laundry.  (Ok, that isn't true - I did have to move the clothes from the washer to the dryer.)  I loved it because I read the newspaper in silence on the sunporch and fell asleep on the papisan and didn't feel the least bit guilty. 

I loved it because I am a mom.


No comments:

Post a Comment