Thursday, March 22, 2012

What's to come

We have had truly unbelievable weather lately.  Kids wearing shorts to school in March is unprecedented, and at home we are getting a glimpse of what summer may bring.

Yesterday, after dinner, we went outside to enjoy the near-80 degree temps and some fresh air.  Many in the neighborhood were doing the same and there were kids of all ages out playing.  As we walked through the yard, a couple of friends of mine were walking up the street toward our house; They stopped and we started chatting.  Cortlan and Everly were nearby watching the kids across the street when John asked him, "Do you want to go over there and play, too?"  Cortlan responded, "Yes, please."  We told him he could go ahead and his immediate response was, "Can Everly come, too?"

Cortlan took Everly's hand and said, "Do you want to come over with the big kids with me?"  Of course, she did. 

The relationship that my kids have is sometimes unbelievable.  Cortlan asked Everly to come with him partly because she gives him confidence, but also because he loves to include her and share experiences with her.  My kids certainly have their fair share of disagreements, but they love each other tremendously. They take care of each other and help each other and look out for each other.  The confidence that Everly gives Cortlan goes both ways. 

I watched Cortlan as he led his little sister to the group of kids across the street.  They sat down, played ball, and ultimately played Duck, Duck, Goose with a fifth grader and a four-year-old, as two other kids played basketball nearby.  As I watched, I noticed how much they have grown since last summer, with this new found sense of independence.  And from my vantage point across the street, it dawned on me that even though I still have my eye on them, they are getting a little bit farther from my reach.

Sometimes, milestones sneak up on you.

No comments:

Post a Comment