Wednesday, March 14, 2012

It is in the genes (or not)

When Everly turned one, her aunt and uncle got her an American Girl doll for her birthday.  When she turned three, we finally let her open it.  Her doll's name is Lanie, and she came with a chapter book with Lanie as the main character.  Last Friday, after Ev opened her gifts from us, both kids played while I read a chapter of Lanie's book to them.  To be honest, there was so much going on, I didn't think anyone was even listening to me read, but I plugged on.  In the first chapter, Lanie described herself as a scientist; she likes to do experiments, and she also loves to be outdoors.  She said at one point that she thinks that her mom and dad and sister got "inside genes" and she got "outside genes," as no one else in her family enjoys being outdoors as much as she does.

Neither of my kids are stereotypical for their gender, and I kind of like it that way.  Everly was just as excited to get a GeoTrax remote control train (so she doesn't have to fight for her brother's) for her birthday as she was to get PJs for her doll.  Cortlan is just as happy to play with his sister's doll house as he is his Bat Cave and superheros.  But something Cortlan said yesterday while he was digging in the dirt kind of amazed me (for the connection he made and the fact that he was actually listening and paying attention to Lanie's story) and made me laugh (because it is so typical). 

"Mommy," he said, "I think that you and Daddy and Everly all got shopping genes and I didn't.  I wish I never had to go shopping."

Understandable, buddy.

2 comments:

  1. Well that explains it. It's all genetics. Now I realize that I, too, got shopping genes.

    ReplyDelete