Thursday, January 5, 2012

It was a Good Day.

I thought I had lost $30 the week before Christmas but this morning I found it.
I was eating my breakfast, which is the last thing I typically do before waking my kids, when one and then the other showed their smiling faces in the kitchen and said "Good morning!"
Everly brought me her pink tights and said, "I want to wea dese today!"

I wish I could say that I taught a killer lesson, but it was fine.
I did, however, have a student ask me about pursuing physics as a career, and I had a former student come back for a visit, which is always nice and validating.

On my way to get the kids from school, I stopped at Aldi's to pick up some peppers and chicken.  While I was there, I found Christmas Reece's peanut butter cups on sale for $0.99.

I picked up the kids, who were as happy as could be, and on the radio, Absolutely Mindy was asking her listeners what they thought makes a "good day." Everly said, "Sunshine."

We got home and I didn't turn on the computer, as I often do. Instead, I changed my clothes and got down on the floor with the kids. We played with the Loving Family dollhouse, the batmobile, and the batcopter, simultaneously. (The babies were superheroes and are, in fact, quite skilled at flying.)

I cooked this for dinner while the kids colored pictures for me.  ("Is this beautiful, Mommy?" Absolutely. "Look, Mommy! I made a "H"!" Awesome!)  And the meal was delicious.

The kids watched fifteen minutes of Sesame Street by request and learned about amphibians while I quickly cleaned the kitchen and read this blog post, which was recommended by a friend. I loved this post and consequently fell in love with the concepts of Chronos time and Kairos time.  

Chronos time is the chronological, sequential time that we live in.  As the author of the post says, "It’s regular time, it’s one minute at a time, it’s staring down the clock till bedtime time, it’s ten excruciating minutes in the Target line time, it’s four screaming minutes in time out time, it’s two hours till daddy gets home time. Chronos is the hard, slow passing time we parents often live in." 

Kairos time is the time in between, a special time, or as the author says, "Kairos is God’s time. It’s time outside of time. It’s metaphysical time. It’s those magical moments in which time stands still."

Kairos is the exact concept of the moments that I try to find and appreciate in my life.  The desire for Kairos may actually be the reason I write this blog.  Not every moment is a Kairos moment, for sure.  But sometimes I think that it is far too easy in this world, in this life, for every moment to become a Chronos one if you don't pay attention, if you don't slow down just a little bit, every now and then.

After my fifteen minutes in the kitchen, I sat on the couch with my arms around my kids who were snuggled up on either side of me and we watched a bit of Abby Cadabby.  I was present.  Without realizing what was happening, I felt my kids' skin, and I watched the smiles slowly form on their faces, and I watched as Everly got down from the couch and danced with reckless abandon, and I noticed Cortlan adjust my hand on his knee and hold his hand on top of mine.  And my senses were overwhelmed, and my heart was full.

What makes a day a good day?  Today, Kairos.  And sunshine.

2 comments:

  1. I loved that blog post...I cried when I read it. I hear those "I hope your enjoying your time" comments all the time, and I feel like the author-what is wrong with me that I can't feel great about a screaming kid with an ear infection, one who needs to have all the attention all the time, and a baby who is totally dependent on me. I must look like someone ready to lose her mind since many comments lately have been, "You've got your hands full!" I appreciate the understanding that it seems these people have.

    I think that the Kairos time is sort of like stepping out of yourself and seeing your life as an outsider...I am trying to let those moments wash over me more.

    Back to Chronos: did you use red peppers or other colors?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing that post...I totally can relate to it, too, and I hope that with this blog people don't think I am "that person" when, in fact, I am only trying to do my best to find those moments to enjoy, too. Sometimes, they aren't easy to find, and that's a fact.

    As for the peppers - I used one red and one yellow. That's what they had at Aldi's. :)

    ReplyDelete