Monday, May 10, 2010

My Mother's Day

Sure, I received "stuff" from my family that I love for Mother's Day.  But I loved the day, and the things that it reminded me of, too.  Or, maybe, even more.

On my Mother's Day, I got to sleep in until 8AM.  I slowly awoke and headed to the living room, where Cortlan handed me a personally decorated card.  Head tilted, shy smile on his face, and in his sweetest little boy voice, he said, "Happy Mother's Day."  He gave me a huge hug. "You are my favorite little boy ever," I said.  He smiled and said, "And you know what?  We are family."  Yep.  We are family.  And my family is a little piece of heaven. 

John made me the best omelet that I have ever tasted.  Seriously.  I got to sip my coffee and play on the floor with the kids.  Cortlan's imagination ran wild, and Everly even got involved with the playing, which is awesome to see.  She was opening and closing the barn door of the Little People farm, putting the animals in and taking them out.  My kids have the greatest smiles.

I took a long, hot, relaxing shower.

We went to my mom and dad's house, where we had pizza and brownies, and I got to see my sister and nieces, the youngest only a little more than a week old.  The kids played on the swings and the sun was shining.

We headed home and Everly fell asleep before we were a mile away.  We snuggled both kids into bed for a nap, and then I snuggled on the papisan chair in the sunniest spot on the sun porch and read the newspaper in total silence and peace.  No running around trying to get things done during naptime this day.  In fact, no cleaning at all on this day.  (Though, I did throw in a load of laundry.  I just knew if I didn't I would regret it later this week.)

The kids woke up and we took some pictures, as is tradition on Mother's Day.  We then headed over to my mother-in-law's house, where the kids played and we laughed and talked and listened to music and set up her wii and ate grapes.

Dinner was delicious.  The hugs were the best.  And then I headed out to get a movie while John bathed the kids.  On the way, I turned up the radio really loud and belted out one of my favorite songs that was playing.  I got home in time to tuck my little boy into bed and give him sweet kisses and hear "Happy Mother's Day" one more time before I settled in to watch The Blind Side

I love Mother's Day.  Not that it is drastically different than any other day, but I think it is because the mere title of the day pulls into focus how special it is to be a mom, and how much I love being one, and how lucky I am to have a wonderful one, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment