Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Inspired Mother's Day

On this Mother's Day, I am inspired.

I am inspired by the moms who seem to have it all together, and the moms who let it be known that they don't.  I am inspired by the moms who have children that are calm and quiet, and the ones whose children are spirited and bold.  I am inspired by the ones that have social lives that involve wine after bedtime, and the ones whose social lives revolve around kids' birthday parties.  I am inspired by the fashionable moms and those who throw the concept of traditional fashion to the curb, even temporarily, whether by necessity or choice (or plain old lack of awareness).

The moms who have multiple crafts and projects lined up for their kids inspire me, as do the ones with no plans at all, who take their children on nature walks or to the park at the spur of the moment.  The moms who take time for themselves inspire me.  The moms whose kids have manners better than some adults inspire me, as do the moms who exercise regularly, use all kinds of coupons to get the best deals, know all the best kid's authors, and know how to get their kids to eat their veggies. 

The moms at the grocery store with kids in Halloween costumes in May inspire me.

The moms who can talk on the phone, nurse their babies, and make kick-ass grilled cheese sandwiches - all at the same time - inspire me.

The moms who have given up their "real" jobs for the sake of the very real job of raising children inspire me.  The ones who continue to work while still being awesome at their very real job of raising children inspire me, too. 

The moms who wrestle on the living room floor, play with diggers, dump trucks, and dirt, build block towers for the toy firemen to climb, operate toy drills and hammers, and make a mean mud pie with their sons inspire me. 

The moms who do all those things with their daughters, too, might even inspire me more.

The moms who show their daughters what it is like to have good body image and defy stereotypes inspire me.  (The mom who drives a Harley and whose daughter never thought for once that she couldn't do ANYTHING that the boys did, especially so.)

I am inspired by the moms who work hard to go against the grain of society because they believe in doing so, and the ones who are willing to let go and just roll with it every now and then.  I am inspired by the moms who manage to get their children to every soccer, baseball, dance, hockey, and tennis practice, as well as the ones who, at least a few nights a week, are content to toss and kick the ball around in the backyard and/or dance with reckless abandon in the living room.

I am inspired by step-moms, adoptive moms, foster moms, and surrogate moms.  And by the women who are looked up to as moms, even though they may not have the official title.

I am inspired by single moms, who have to do it all by themselves.

I am inspired by moms of kids with disabilities, and moms whose kids are sick.

I am inspired by the moms who have lost their babies at whatever age, but who are still, and will always be, moms in their hearts.

I am inspired by the moms of yesterday and today, and by the hope-to-be-future-moms who will someday see their dreams come true, one way or another.

I am inspired by the moms who set a good example for their children in body, mind, and soul.

I am inspired by the moms who set a good example for me. 

I am inspired by you.

Happy Mother's Day.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Joyce,
    This is beautiful and you had to have put a lot of thought into it to include all that you said. Just want to comment that I hope you are just inspired by everyone that you mentioned and not pressured to cover as many as you can. I'm inspired most I guess by the moms who go with the flow, let their kids get dirty if that's what they want to do, have rules but can bend them enough to have some real fun and connection with a lot of sincere, belly moving laughter that almost makes you choke. The moms who can just sit back and treasure every single moment with their children, who take the time to write in a blog about them.

    Happy Mother's Day to you also.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete