Wednesday, March 20, 2013

A milestone for Cortlan - bring on the laces!

For over a year, I have said to Cortlan, "You are going to have to learn to tie your shoes!" Last summer, I made some attempt to teach him, though admittedly, I didn't give it my all.  I would show him and help him, once or twice, here and there, but his lack of interest and attention span wasn't very motivating for me.  I figured I would try again later.

A few months ago, Cortlan got two pairs of shoes with laces.  John and I knew that we would be tying his shoe for a while, but again, we kept saying, "Cortlan, you are going to have to learn to do this yourself!"  Despite that, we never really found the time to sit down to work with him. And he didn't seem any more motivated to learn.  On our priority list, teaching him kept falling to the bottom.

Yesterday morning, however, he decided that instead of wearing the velcro shoes that he often chooses, he wanted to wear his boots that lace.

He sat down and he tied his shoes.

John and I were (and still are) astonished.  He just did it.

And when he did it again in the afternoon after gymnastics, I knew it wasn't a fluke.

So this morning, I took pictures.







He even double knotted. 

Way to go, Cortlan!  How you learned is a mystery to us, but we are proud of you!


No comments:

Post a Comment