Thursday, October 18, 2012

Well, that didn't go as planned...

So, I thought that if I got a chance to write today it would go a little differently, but things don't always work out as planned.

When I picked Cortlan up from school on Monday, I noticed he was a little flushed.  When I gave him a hug, he felt warm.  So, I took his temperature and, sure enough, it was 101.  I called the ENT's office and asked if this would affect the surgery.  The answer I got was a hopeful (but not promising) "the surgery will most likely go on."  The thought was that there would be enough time between then and Thursday to fight whatever it was that he needed to fight, and we would go as planned.  I was also told that they would likely proceed with the surgery if the temperature was mild.

Cort's temp was less than 100 on Tuesday, but when I picked him up from school yesterday (Wednesday) it was back up to 101.  I began to worry, but still felt hopeful, as he was acting like his normal self and even wanted to ride his scooter around the neighborhood.

We got up this morning as usual.  John took Everly to school and Cort and I left for the surgery center with him comfy in his PJs.  John met us there.  We sat in the waiting room for a bit and then were moved to an exam room.  One person after another came in asking us questions and giving us information.  One nurse took his temperature (it was normal) and blood pressure.  One went over procedures with us and gave us a hospital shirt and booties for him to wear.  Someone took a reading of his blood oxygen levels.    Everyone asked us questions, including about his recent health, and I was truthful about the temperature and minor symptoms he has been experiencing.  Things continued to proceed.  A nurse told us what would happen with the anesthesia.  Then the anesthesiologist came in.  And then the surgeon, who had been told about the temperature.  A discussion ensued, and it finally came out that despite the fact that the anesthesiologist had no concerns for Cortlan's safety or health during the procedure, the recovery may be another issue.  The doctor did not want to proceed with the surgery.

Obviously, I don't want Cortlan's recovery to be any more difficult than it need to be and I know the right decision was made.  But, I have been having a very stressful couple of weeks.  Having things planned, and then - by surprise - changing the plans kind of makes me lose it more than it should, admittedly.  I handle things much better when I have time to prepare.  Despite the fact that I knew it was a possibility, I had not prepared for the fact that the surgery had to be canceled.  So, the doctor might think I am a little bit of a wacko right now.  (John might, too, but I am pretty sure he already knew.)

Finding a date that worked for this surgery was a challenge.  Finding a new one - even more so. In this case, it isn't necessarily the surgery, but the two weeks of recovery that come after.  I don't want Cort to miss out on the holidays.  I don't want the surgery to be when I am in New York City for school.  I don't want the surgery to be on the day of Cortlan's fall festival for which he has worked so hard for months to prepare. 

After getting the news and some awkwardness, we went across the hall to get a chest x-ray.  We went to his pediatricians.  We stopped by the ENT's office to schedule another surgery.  This time it will be on December 5th, and we are praying that he will be healthy for it.  At least we will know what to expect.

No comments:

Post a Comment