Sunday, October 23, 2011

A music time capsule

I have always been a music lover, and despite my propensity for breaking windows because I am so out of tune and loud, I love to belt out a good song when it is playing on the radio.  (Remember Buffalo Stance?  I am sure my parents loved that I knew almost every word when I was a kid.)  Because of this, it comes as no surprise to me that my kids are beginning to do the same.  Last night, as we were driving to my parent's house, the kids named that tune in two notes - "The Princess Who Saved Herself!!" and when it was over, Cort said, "Mommy, did you hear?  I sang all of those words, even the part about the wicked witch!  Even when she said 'hate.'  I was just repeating her."  He loved the opportunity to say a "bad word," I loved that he was singing along and knew most of the words.  (No big deal that he thinks it says, "She had a bad stink" when the lyrics really are "She had a pet snake.")

We have had a free subscription to satellite radio since buying our new car, and channel 78 has been a favorite, for sure.  Kids Place Live was with us as we drove to two vacation destinations and back this year, and is what we listen to in the morning on the way to school.  Favorite songs these days:  "Chicken, Monkey, Duck" (Everly) and "Butterfly Driving a Truck" (Cortlan), which doesn't seem to be on YouTube, yet.  We also love the Weird Al song "The Saga Begins," which is sung to the tune of the classic "Bye Bye Miss American Pie." Kids Place Live is awesome because they also play songs like "Eye of the Tiger" and songs by artists such as They Might Be Giants and Barenaked Ladies.  But, channel 78 is certainly not the only one that we listen to.  Proof:  the whole family has been known to belt out the line, "Everyday I'm Shuffling," and I have to say, I kind of love it.

So, yeah.  I am going to admit this:  I kind of went through withdrawal for about a week and a half when suddenly and without warning our free subscription to satellite radio expired on Columbus Day.  I fought the urge to call and subscribe, because who really needs to pay for radio?  But it got harder and harder as the CD that was in the player started to get a bit old after the 45th time through, and when I realized that I could hardly handle commercial breaks after not listening to a single commercial in about six months.  And I also realized that, on satellite, the songs aren't overplayed nearly as much as on the regular radio.  So, I broke down and called.  And I didn't subscribe.  And then two days later, I broke down and called again.  (Would you believe that I got THE SAME customer service guy??)  After a lengthy discussion, I was given an offer I couldn't refuse.

So now I am again living in musical bliss.  And so are the kids.  Because now we can again sing, "The Window" at the top of our lungs as we drive down the road.  (Ok.  Maybe I am the only one singing that one.)

1 comment:

  1. The Window is a great one to belt out! We enjoyed singing it as we walked through Story Book Forest.

    I am amazed at how quickly the kids know every single word of those song on Kids Place Live. I have just figured out the chorus while Emma knows the whole song. That radio station is worth every cent (and you know I am not a big spender!)

    Plus, happy people sing; I have been known to listen to and sing songs on Kids Place Live after the kids get out of the car...and added song to my workout playlists my kids know. Its when you start listening to the Llama without kids when you know you have a problem.

    ReplyDelete