Tuesday, December 21, 2010

My Snowflakes

My kids are on my mind today.

I am loving how they interact.  I am loving how they giggle and play.  I am loving how Everly admires her big brother so much, and how he plays right along with it. 

This weekend, we went to the mall.  Cortlan wanted to watch the fountain, and climbed up on the edge.  Everly got right up there with him, checked his stance, and adjusted herself so she was sitting just like him.  (I can't believe I didn't get a picture!)  Tonight, he was laughing with his hands over his mouth, and she made sure she was doing it just the same.  He bit his tongue while eating his vegetables at dinner and she reacted as if she had bit hers, too.  He gets a kick out of this, and is flattered by the imitation.  I know that can't possibly last.  But I can enjoy it while it does.

Cortlan's teachers gave him a drawing board with markers today, and of course he wanted to draw on it when we got home.  Everly was none too pleased that she didn't get one, too, but was happy enough once I brought out the paints.  "Everly, you are an artist!" said her big brother, proudly, as she created her masterpiece.  And she is.  She loves drawing and coloring and painting, and will sit on the stool for an hour making her designs.  Cortlan has always been a minimalist, and certainly has his own style.  Today, he was an artist, too. 

"Ooooh!" I said.  "Is that a spider?"

"No."

"A sunshine?" asks John.

"No!  Its a snowflake!"

"Ahhhh!  Of course!  And a beautiful snowflake it is."

A beautiful snowflake.  In many ways, my kids couldn't be any more different.  I am amazed by that every day.  And different doesn't mean bad.  Or good.  Just...different.  And I love it.  And I love them.

No comments:

Post a Comment