Sunday, February 11, 2018

Quite a day...

(I am going to ignore the fact that it has literally been years since I have written here.  Just go with it.)

Today was a day with just about every emotion.

We had a lot planned and it all started off well.  I ran. The kids watched some TV.  John made us pancakes and then went to work out.  The kids played with slime.  I did taxes.

We got ready to go to the funeral home of the mom of a close family friend.

We went to the viewing, where Cortlan cried - not because he had ever met the wonderful woman who had recently passed away (he hadn't), but because he was sad for everyone there.  They had lost someone.  And he was sad at the reminder that death is a part of life.  And him crying - and his very legitimate reasons to do so - made me cry, too.

We stayed for the appropriate length of time, talking to people we hadn't seen in a while, looking at pictures of an 86 year old's honeymoon in Italy, doing our best to provide words when there weren't any.

Then we headed out, because there was a soccer skills training to get to and it was after 3pm and we needed to drive 20-25 minutes home and then have Everly change and get back in the car to drive 30 minutes to soccer that started at 4pm.  Oh - and we had to gather clothes for a semi-formal father-daughter dance that started at 5:30 that was 30 minutes away from soccer.  Soccer was to end at 5pm.

Or so we thought.

Racing to get out the door with enough time to get to soccer on time, we forgot to load the soccer ball into the car.

At 4:03, I get a text.  "Does soccer start at 4:30?"

I checked my confirmation e-mail.  It clearly said 4:00.  I texted another mom.  They had changed the start time.  (Why didn't I get an e-mail?) 

"Well, at least we are just unprepared and not late and unprepared."

So they got there (with plenty of time to spare).  And Ev worked hard at soccer.  And they made it to the dance, though a bit late (and without a selfie, but that is ok). 

And meanwhile, Cortlan and I had our own date.  We went to dinner and then to a Youth Concert Orchestra performance.

And as I sat with my son listening to the beautiful music, thinking of John and Everly at the dance, I couldn't help but to think that despite the ups and downs of the day, life is good.


No comments:

Post a Comment