Wednesday, November 28, 2012

The Big Problem

Sleeping as soundly as any mom does, I was awakened last night by the pitter patter of little girl feet in the hallway.  I half-listened, half-expecting a yell of some sort for help, but heard only the sounds of Everly using the potty by herself and going back to her room.  For a moment, before I fell back asleep from the barely-awake state I was in, I thought about how far we've come over the last year; Last year at this time, Everly was still wearing Pull-Ups at night and (at best) would scream from her bed if she had to go potty in the middle of the night.

I fell back asleep.

But I was probably only asleep for a minute or so when I heard from beside my bed a soft little, "Mommy?"

Uh oh.

"Yes?" I asked.

"Mommy, I have a big poblem."

Here it was.  In my mind flashed images of pee on the floor of the bathroom, pee on the bed, and worse.  My previous thoughts of how far we had come, shattered.  But, she was being so calm...it was surreal.  I tried to stay calm myself.

"What is the big problem, Everly?"

"I can't find fuggy bea."

Relief flooded over me and, for once, I didn't mind getting up to help Everly find Snuggy Bear.  And in the morning, I was sure to compliment her on her technique.  A quiet voice with cute words is so much better to wake to than a wailing girl if I must be woken in the middle of the night. 

Maybe we really have come a long way.

No comments:

Post a Comment