Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Stained fingertips

My alarm went off at 6 AM this morning, as it has every day this summer.  I pressed the snooze alarm; ten minutes later I pressed it again.  It is nice to have that luxury.  It is also nice to wake before the kids, get the cup of coffee that is waiting for me thanks to a programable coffee pot, and go sit on the porch or deck to enjoy it. 

This morning, the air was cool and crisp...a warm welcome after the stifling heat and humidity of the heat wave that only broke on Sunday.  I believe it was seven consecutive days of above 90 degree temps that led us to this point - a point where an 80 degree day feels like a cool relief.  I will take it either way - in the 90 degree temps, we enjoyed the pool tremendously.  We also enjoyed the air conditioning every now and then, like when we took a trip to Chuck E. Cheese's for the afternoon.

But today was a perfect day to be outside.  We were at the park by 9 AM...the kids rode bikes, I ran.  We cleaned the car, inside and out.  We swung on the swings...Cort is finally getting the hang of pumping his legs.  

And then we got on our sneakers and headed to the woods for a walk.  Our neighbors told us they had found blackberry bushes, and we even got to taste one of the berries last night as a tease.  Today, the kids were ready to claim their own.  As we got deeper into the woods, we were concerned we wouldn't find any.  But as the denser trees cleared into an overgrown field with high bushes and plants of all sorts, we spotted our first prize. 

With our red Solo cups, we collected berry after berry, staining our fingertips as we went.  I told the kids about my berry picking adventures as a kid and told them how much I enjoyed walking in the woods.  "Me, too!" they both responded. 

Honestly, I am not sure which of us enjoyed it more today.


No comments:

Post a Comment